Sunday, September 12, 2010

Opening Days

I write to you as I’m about to complete my first full week in my second year - my sophomore year, I suppose – at the Seminary.

This year, as in my first year, an Opening Retreat started the year. Beginning on Wednesday, September 1, 2010, Bishop William Murphy led us through three days of prayer and reflection. (You can read more about the background to this here.)

First, and perhaps most striking, we are called to silence in these days. This is certainly a challenge but at the same time a powerful opportunity. It’s not easy to avoid talking and catching up or even talking on the phone, etc. Yet, the absence of the “noise” does allow for some deeper reflection and growth, at least for me :)!

Second, Bishop Murphy asked us to focus on the role of Mary in the life of the Church, in general, and the life of the priest and seminarians, in particular. His talks focused in four areas: a) Mary in the Mystery; b) Mary as the Ark of the Covenant; c) Mary and the Church; and d) Mary in the life of the priest and seminarian. Bishop Murphy offered us much to think about especially about Mary as the model for the Church and its members. He reminded us consistently of the need to remember the service of humility of Mary and put that into action in our own lives, especially as priests and seminarians. (There were many other points, but this post would go on for about three screens!)

Third, Bishop Murphy made himself available to meet with us individually. To be honest, that may have been one of the highlights of the opening three days. We all “know the Bishop” and the responsibilities and roles he plays in the operation of a Diocese and admittedly, it was a little intimidating to talk to “the Bishop”. Yet, I must say, he was nothing but kind, compassionate, understanding and supportive of my journey, recognizing and identifying some of the challenges I have faced and offering great encouragement and direction. When beginning the retreat, Bishop Murphy said he wanted to lead the retreat because too often bishops are seen as distant or primarily as administrators and he believes they must be seen as spiritual fathers, as brothers, as true shepherds. I can see what he meant and what he hoped to achieve, most especially when I left my meeting with him.

From the retreat, after a weekend at home, we are now in the midst of the Spring semester. We have a different “house” this year – as the five men ordained last year now have parish assignments, eight men have left to begin pastoral year in parishes, four men have returned from pastoral work and five new seminarians have entered! The journey…the transition….continues! Sophomore year is underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment