Monday, September 27, 2010

Hope House

This year, in Fourth Theology, seminarians are required to carry out some type of pastoral work in their local diocese. Some of my classmates’ experiences, this semester, include working with in college Campus Ministry program, a Children’s Hospital and other local outreach organizations. The seminary has allowed me to continue some of my previous pastoral work this semester at St. Anne’s Parish in Brentwood and Hope House Ministries in Port Jefferson.

I’ve written previously about St. Anne’s but have not written too much about my work at Hope House. Hope House is a Catholic social service agency that has served young people and families “in crisis” for over 30 years. Founded and led by Fr. Frank Pizzarelli, SMM and supported by the Montfort Missionaries, it began as one small house in 1980. In the past 30 years, Hope House has grown into an agency that services thousands of people each month. You can read more about the services of Hope House here.

My work is primarily in two different parts of Hope House. I work in the Human Services Center (photo, right) which offers counseling and mental health support to people of all ages in need of a variety of services. I work with a number of clients – at present, mostly adolescents and their families – as a counselor and social worker. Of those clients, a few of them live in the Community House, the long term residence established to treat young men who can no longer live at home or need to address issues related to substance abuse, family conflicts or legal challenges. Residents at the Community House (photo, below) live there, share community and carry on their lives – either by going to school, working, or focusing on recovery among many other activities. I try to be present to those living in the Community House, when I can by working for those who might need coverage and joining in the community meal when I am there. Fr. Frank is not only responsible for the house but serves as a real father figure to these young men who live there. It’s a different example of priestly service and one, for me, that is inspirational.

I have been involved at Hope House for over five years and have never failed to be challenged and humbled by my experiences there. In having the honor to work with people in their brokenness, I’ve learned much about resilience, endurance and hope. To be able to be present with people on a journey towards healing and recovery cannot help but transform all involved, including me.

Since coming to the Seminary, I have been able to maintain some involvement at Hope House. It’s been funny to hear many of these young people who knew me before I entered the Seminary say things like, “Are you sure you want to do this?” or “Oh man I could never…” but at the same time see their curiosity. I have some great conversations – often both serious and humorous - about vocation, direction and the future. There is no doubt that this has been another ministry in my life that led me here to the Seminary and priestly formation. I am better for being a part of Hope House.

No comments:

Post a Comment