Monday, August 29, 2011

Serving the Church? How?


            Hello, my name is Jaeyoung (Paschal) Choi. I am a friend of John Sureau. Generously, he asked me to post my experience to share with you. One of the biggest trips in my summer vacation was a pilgrimage to Korea for fourteen nights with Korean-American teenagers. I was one of the leaders of the pilgrimage for thirty-six teenagers.
            I would not expect that my kids memorized all historical backgrounds of the Korean Church and shrines. Rather, I tried to give them a point why you are Christians based on Korean Church history. As long as I know, it was successful. Besides, I have learned many things from them: how to serve the Church and what should I give to the Church.
            Being with them was like serving a small church (ekklesia, a gathering in Greek). I was serving those who were listening to me, those who were not, those who were doing good, those who were sick, those who were being healthy, and those who were injured (fortunately not many guys). Moreover, I have learned serving the Church is not about an abstract idea but an act. When I was cleaning a toilet to wash poop (one of my kids did) away, I realized this!
            On the pilgrimage, I could have a day to spend with my family. When I met my mom, I started to complain about the kids. As they were a small church, they were like little sheep, bad sheep: sneaking alcohol in at night and doing whatever they want. I didn’t think that they could be compared to sheep. What I heard was that sheep were naïve, innocent, and very listening carefully to a shepherd, but the kids did not.
            However, since my mom worked in special high school for teen-troublemakers, she has given me an excellent advice. Her point is, “Give them your love. Let them feel that it is a great and happy pilgrimage, when they look back the trip in their future.”
            I never forget the last day of the trip, when we all shared our impressions out of the pilgrimage. One girl stood up and said with dropping tears, “I apologize as one of the participants that we never listened to staff during the pilgrimage. I feel whole-heartedly that you guys still love us. Thank you for everything for the pilgrimage.” God worked through our hearts. Giving them knowledge was not the point of the pilgrimage, but my love and my care.
            I have learned how to serve the Church through them. It is not about an idea but an act (washing poop away)! Besides, I have a great lesson, what should I give to the Church. I did not only give them summery of the history of the Korean Catholic Church, but through him, I really gave them my love. I have truly acknowledged through our pilgrimage, “God is Love.” (I Jn. 4:8) 

Rejoice in the Lord, not in the world.
Jaeyoung Paschal Choi           

No comments:

Post a Comment