Saturday, August 13, 2011

Off to Retreat


On Monday, August 15th, I will leave St. Anne’s, Garden City for a 30 day retreat based on The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius.  

The Main Entrance in Big Sur.
How did this happen? In planning and organizing the time of my diaconate, Bishop Murphy asked me to consider engaging in such a retreat experience.  Before entering the Seminary, I participated in an 8 day silent retreat (not based on the Spiritual Exercises) at the Camoldolese Benedictine Monastery in Big Sur, CA. At the conclusion of the retreat, my spiritual director suggested I consider a longer retreat in the future. When this opportunity came up, I was excited (and honestly, a little anxious) about the experience and am looking forward to it
The Main Entrance at the Jesuit Center.

Where is this happening? My 30 day retreat will take place at the Jesuit Center in Wernersville, PA. My director, the person I will meet with each day, is Fr. Joseph Currie, S. J. I have not met him yet, but he seems to be a kind and gentle person who will be a tremendous guide.

Statue of St. Ignatius at the Jesuit Center.
What is this all about? Very briefly, this retreat is based on the experience of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits. When ill and unable to move from bed, he read two books – one a book about the life of Christ and the second about the life of the saints. From these encounters and others, Ignatius developed these Spiritual Exercises.  (My summary is VERY brief…there is much more to the story!).  The retreatant (that will be me) will work with my Spiritual Director (Fr. Currie) to work through the Spiritual Exercises. The hope, in the end, is that the retreatant is more aware of his or her own feelings and thoughts, his or her relationship with Jesus and his commitment to serve the Lord throughout his or her life and be ever more aware of his presence. (Again – a very brief overview.) You can read more about the Spiritual Exercises here.

In the same way we may work out or exercise our bodies for physical improvement, we need to do the same for the spiritual life.  The hope is that many of the skills and experiences that occur during this retreat continue for years and years to come.  Everyone I have met who has participated in this silent retreat has been overly supportive and encouraging about my participation. Needless to say I have great hope!

While I will be away I will have no access to the e-mail, phone, computer, etc. However, I’ve asked some friends to help me up date the blog. So each week – actually some times even twice a week – you’ll see a different post! Enjoy. I look forward to reading them when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment