Monday, August 22, 2011

Basil Bliss's first two months as a Deacon


      Ordained on May 14th. There were eleven of us, closely bound in friendship throughout the four years of formation. Over the last two months, we continued to share our experiences, our duties, our homilies and our anxieties. Last week we met for a BBQ with our wives, laughed together and prayed together.

      The exhilaration I felt at Ordination continued for weeks. There was a Mass of Thanksgiving with relatives, friends and parishioners. There was a welcome calm after the excitement that lasted for two weeks. Then, there were wakes to be done. When was the last time I read the rite? In my third year !! I needed to review the rite. When was the last time I looked at the Baptismal rite? In my second year!! The lack of familiarity with the rites demanded my review. I even sat in when our two seasoned Deacons did a wake service or a Baptism. An old friend lost his wife at age 57, and he requested that I do the vigil. His son played baseball with my son. and we coached together. No pressure here. Finally, there was a meeting with my new Pastor and a schedule to follow. I welcomed planning and the stability of a schedule of when I’d do Baptisms or Masses or preach, and with three Deacons, we’d rotate the wakes. I do feel I am part of a family at St. Anne’s, working with dedicated Priests, Deacons, and Parish staff.

     My spiritual growth continues. I had indeed felt that growth in the Seminary. I have continued with Morning and Evening prayer, and I continue to read Biblical commentaries on the readings each week. What was that Marine motto? Now my thoughts have turned to the New Missal, and getting to read the changes in the prayers. I volunteered to write an article on the history of the lectionary and am now working on one on the Liturgy of the Word. Is there an easy way to explain the changes in the Creed?

      I want to visit the homebound. Working precludes this, except on weekends. I found time to visit and bring the Eucharist to the father of a friend in a rehabilitation center. Need to do more of this. I have taught high school Theology for the last 8 years, and am implementing a new curriculum mandated by the USCCB. I will be responsible for the RCIA and Confirmation education for students as well. Just enough to keep me busy!

    -Basil  Chairman, Theology Dept. Bishop Loughlin HS/ Deacon at St. Anne's Garden City

No comments:

Post a Comment