Saturday, July 9, 2011

Greetings from Garden City

Last summer, I wrote to you with great joy about my assignment to St. Anne’s in Brentwood. When Msgr. Swiader, my Advisor, told me my diaconate ministry would take place at St. Anne’s, he saw my face and said, “No, not that one!”  Today, I write to you from St. Anne’s R.C. Church in Garden City.  I write today with the same spirit of joy and hope I shared last summer.

On June 22nd, I was officially assigned as a Deacon to this parish community.  Honestly, I came with a little trepidation. It’s a wonderful parish with so many great things happening.  Would I fit in here?  Would they care about me and my journey? How would I handle living in Nassau County? Would I be able to handle all of these transitions?

Two and a half weeks into it, my fears were completely unfounded. This community has been nothing but a place of welcome, care and concern, encouragement and excitement, and inclusion and inspiration (and I can even find my way around some of these Nassau roads).  More than once, I have said to myself, and others, how lucky and fortunate I am to be here at St. Anne’s. It is a tremendous community that serves and ministers to parishioners in Garden City, New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Franklin Square, Stewart Manor and so many more.

Fr. Tom Harold and I at St. Anne's.
There have been many people who have been so good and so kind to me since I’ve arrived and you’ll probably meet them one way or another on this blog.  The pastor at St. Anne’s is Msgr. Tom Harold. Fr. Tom and I first met over 15 years ago. Then, he served as the Vocation Director for the Diocese of Rockville Centre and I came seeking advice and direction. When I heard I would come here with him (he started on June 22nd too) I had a great sense that the Spirit was at work. A person who welcomed and encouraged me to consider priesthood would now be one who guides me in the final week and months before priesthood.

I concluded my bulletin reflection and some of my introduction to the parish with the paragraph below:
I mentioned last week that when I left my home parish of Our Lady of Lourdes I realized I was not so much leaving as being “sent forth” by the parish community (hence, the name of the blog!). I have a tremendous feel then when I will look at my time here at St. Anne’s I’ll say, “This is the community that sent me forth to priesthood” and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Deacon John,
    It is great to have you at Saint Anne's. You certainly add a lot to the faith community. I wish you good luck in your priestly ministry, and I know that you will be great. I love the way that you make the gospel so relatable and it helps me to stay engaged, and grow in my faith. I look forward to follow this blog. My best of luck in your priestly ministry.
    -Robert

    ReplyDelete