Monday, November 30, 2009

It's Good to be Home

This weekend, all of the seminarians were asked to return to their home parishes to share a little bit about their vocation story, especially as the Church celebrates the feast of St. Andrew, Apostle, this Monday. For me, I had the great honor and privilege of returning home, and I do mean home, to Our Lady of Lourdes R.C. Church in West Islip.

I’m not sure if everyone can appreciate the difference that a parish can make in a transition like this. Ideally, parishes are small Church communities that nurture, challenge, empower and strengthen all who belong to the community. I’ve been part of Our Lady of Lourdes since birth and for as far back as I can remember have always a found a place where I belong. This community has helped me to do things I never thought I could do – including coming to the Seminary.

Over my years in the parish, I have been offered support in the midst of challenge. I have been given the privilege and honor to serve the community in some ways. Perhaps, most importantly, I have been given a great foundation of what parish and Church can and should be.

One of the great things about good communities in general and parishes in particular, is that you never really leave. So while I have been away from the everyday life of the community since August, they have not left me behind or forgotten about me. Rather, like most communities do, they’ve rallied to be present and to support me in new and different ways. That made returning this weekend feel like I had never left.

Needless to say – it is great to go home again!

1 comment:

  1. When I began catecism classes at OLL I was a stranger to religion. My mother hadn't the time to bring me to a parish every week, so my grandparents gave me that opportunity when she passed on. I believe I was one of your favorite helpers-one among many I'm sure. I'd like to think that the community service that was required of me when it came confirmation time influenced my initiative in high school and college. I became a brother in a co-ed community service fraternity doing everything from raising funds for national service organizations to washing fire trucks. Even now I am reaching out to the parish to offer my help because fortunately for the church they have monopolized the community service industry. Parishes were always the prime outlet for giving. Despite my skepticism and unanswered questions I still consider Our Lady of Lourdes to be a place that I can feel safe and welcome. I believe that you were a part of that. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete